Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Alexandra the Late

Yes, it's been a long time since I updated...and SO many things have happend in the last 3 weeks. Yep - Alexandra is 3 weeks old today! My water broke on Monday November 16th at work (not fun) and 36 hours later, Alexandra Josephine was born at 2:30am on 11/18. Hence the nickname, Alexandra the Late (dubbed by Uncle Mike, not surprisingly!).

She is amazing, and perfect, and silly. C and I just laugh and laugh sometimes - she makes these faces... you want your baby to be cute and beautiful all the time, but sometimes the faces she makes are not so cute and we just laugh. We call her Mr. Magoo ( courtesy of the pediatrician...poor girl got my bags under her eyes) and she grimaces sometimes, scrunches her face up - adorable but not, at the same time. Chris is beyond in love, and he is so cute with her. You can see it in his eyes - she's already a daddy's girl. And it makes me love him even more. We've had our moments where insomnia makes me crazy/cranky and him irritable too, but the dumb fights are long forgotten when we pick her up, smell her baby smell, feel her soft as silk skin, and give her a million kisses.

Breastfeeding didn't work - everything that could go wrong, did... her latch was painful at 20 minutes old, cracked nipples, jaundice, not peeing for 30+ hours, having to supplement with formula, use a nipple shield, then pump... I ended up with a yeast infection in both breasts and mastitis. That was it. I made it just over 2 weeks....and now she's on formula only and mommy is a lot less stressed!

I will write her full birth story soon - I made Chris write it all down at the hospital so I wouldn't forget anything that happened. It wasn't picture perfect, and took way too long, but it was all worth it in the end. I want to have something for Allie to read in the future about our experience of meeting her for the first time, the first couple weeks of life with her, and just how much she is loved. I promise to get it done, I promise myself and Allie! For now, at least I updated the blog... I guess that's something!

No comments:

Post a Comment