Friday, July 27, 2012

Realty confusion

C's bike was stolen out of our garage last weekend, while we were home. Actually, C & A were outside and I was inside the house. C had just mowed the lawn & the garage was open...someone came and rode his brand new, gigantic bike out of our driveway. Now, it could have been worse - I get that. But it doesn't change the feeling of violation we have. We were never going to stay in our town long term, but figured we'd be here another 4ish years or so - max. C has decided he wants out ASAP instead of waiting. We talked with our realtor & she came back with comps and thinks we can actually list a little higher than we bought for, but expect to get what we paid basically.  I was sure she was gonna say list for 100k less, so didn't have hopes up for anything, figured we were stuck for a while, so this changes everything.

We have nothing saved for a downpayment or closing costs (well, we have savings, but a downpayment would drain them completely & I'm not comfortable having 0 in the bank). If we were lucky to make 10k off the sale, it still probably wouldn't be enough to put down on a new house. So financially, I don't know if this is even a real possibility. But just the thought of being somewhere new, where we know we're going to stay & actually put down roots makes me excited (not the stressful moving part, just the HOME vs. house part). I've told C wherever we go, I want it to be our forever home. He doesn't care at this point, he just wants out of our town now vs. later.


Realistically, I think we have to stay & reassess in a year. Save like crazy, pay down some debt (how the hell do you do both??) do some minor stuff to the house, declutter like crazy & just be patient. But now that the thought is in my head, it's all I want to do.  GET OUT.  I don't know if I should even continue talking with my realtor. I haven't called our mortgage guy, I just don't want to hear the answer. I guess if he comes back and says - no way, you can't do it - at least I'll be able to put this to bed. But what if he says it's doable?

No comments:

Post a Comment