Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Houston, we have a heartbeat!

Eeek! Today was our first ultra sound and appointment to talk about all the millions of random ailments between our two families.

And we saw the baby for the first time! Giant baby head, little tiny nubs of hands and feet...you can just see the fingers starting to form - simply amazing. Measuring at 9 weeks 1 day, but we are keeping the 11/20 EDD (though they are using 11/16 for testing purposes). And that little heartbeat is a motor at 174 beats per minute! I started to cry when I saw that...it was surreal, but awesome.

So the health stuff: I am high risk because of my Sjogren's. The SSA and SSB Antibodies I have can cross the placenta and cause heartblock..still not 100% sure what that is, but I think basically scar/fibrotic tissue grows...can be minimally affected or can cause heart failure and miscarriage. Great, eh? My Rheum said its not common, but I still have to be monitored frequently to make sure the heart is developing right...and if not, I can take a heart medication that will help the baby's heart fix itself. My OB said in all her years, she's never seen a Sjogren's patient have a sick baby. Lets keep that trend going, people!

Now, we pray that insurance will cover everything...from genetic counseling and testing, to the many fetal echo cardiograms we'll have, to whatever else is thrown at us!

Next appointment: Thursday 4/16 at 12:30 to meet the high risk OB, then a pm appointment with the genetic counselor.

I cannot believe it still. What a ridiculously wonderfully floating on air feeling that was.... and I know C is having trouble concentrating at work today, too!

I'll upload the pics as soon as C can scan them!

No comments:

Post a Comment